Late penalty-try proves vital as Newcastle Falcons edge out Sale Sharks

Sonatane Takulua helped the Falcons get back into the match at the AJ Bell Stadium
Sonatane Takulua helped the Falcons get back into the match at the AJ Bell Stadium

Sale Sharks 12-13 Newcastle Falcons, AJ Bell Stadium

Newcastle Falcons continued their winning ways after they edged out Sale Sharks 12-13 riding on a late penalty try in their Aviva Premiership encounter at AJ Bell Stadium on Friday.

The home side had a six point lead heading into the final 10 minutes but referee Andrew Jackson deemed Marc Jones to have collapsed a driving maul set up by the Falcons in the 73rd minute, that resulted in the decisive penalty try. Jones also faced a sin-bin to further dampen Sale Sharks' hopes.

This was also the first time since 2004, the Falcons have started the campaign with back to back victories.

The first-half was equally competed with Aj MacGinty's penalty in the 18th minute remained the only points as Sale Sharks had a slender lead of three points at half time.

The equaliser came from Tane Takulua at the start of the second half following which both the fly-halves exchanged penalties. At the end of the third quarter, MacGinty kicked two more three pointers as Steve Diamond's men took a vital six point lead, only for it to vanish following the penalty try in the 73rd minute.

Even though, Falcons were also reduced to 14 men when Alex Tait was sin-binned in the 75th minute, they managed to hold their nerve and secure a one point victory that has taken them to the top of the table.

For your latest betting news and deals please visit Betfred.

Widely regarded as the most competitive rugby union league in the can only be the Gallagher Premiership.

The division is becoming more and more exciting as each year passes by so who will be lifting silverware at Twickenham in May?

At Talking Rugby Union, we aim to provide match reports and news together with our specially commissioned features and interviews.