RFU apologises for sin-bin error in Premiership game between Harlequins and Bath

Irne Herbst returned from sin bin in seven minutes during Harlequins' win over Bath
Irne Herbst returned from sin bin in seven minutes during Harlequins' win over Bath
©Steve Haag

Despite apologising for an officiating mistake that allowed Harlequins' lock, Irné Herbst, to return to the field early after receiving a yellow card, the Rugby Football Union has upheld Harlequins' narrow victory over Bath.

Herbst was penalized and sent to the sin bin during the 63rd minute of Saturday's Premiership match, which ended 40-36 in favor of Quins. However, he reentered the game after only seven minutes, instead of the prescribed 10-minute penalty period.

Following the match, Bath's head coach, Johann van Graan, lodged a complaint with the referee regarding the incident. However, after reviewing the matter, the RFU's professional game match officials team decided not to pursue any additional action regarding the error.

“The RFU Professional Game Match Officials Team (PGMOT) acknowledge and apologise for an error during the Gallagher Premiership match between Harlequins v Bath where a yellow card sanction resulted in Herbst returning to the pitch approximately three minutes too soon," read a statement.

“We would like to apologise to both teams for this mistake.

"As is the usual process the PGMOT will review all games to ensure continued improvement and learnings. The result of the match remains final.”

Despite yellow cards to Herbst and Louis Lynagh, Harlequins held their nerve as they edged out Bath with 40-36 victory to move fourth in the table.

Widely regarded as the most competitive rugby union league in the world...it can only be the Gallagher Premiership.

The division is becoming more and more exciting as each year passes by so who will be lifting silverware at Twickenham in May?

At Talking Rugby Union, we aim to provide match reports and news together with our specially commissioned features and interviews.