Super Rugby: Week 5 Review

Super Rugby: Week 5 Review

Blues 25 Hurricanes 26

A late try from Conrad Smith saw the Hurricanes snatch a sensational victory against the Blues on Friday night in Auckland over the Blues. His try brought the scores to 25-24 to the Blues and with the last kick of the game; Beauden Barritt kept his cool and slotted the conversion to win the game. The Blues thought they had got the victory through a try from Ma'a Nonu and twenty points from the boot of Lachie Munro. However this proved too little as the Hurricane stole the victory.

Rebels 30 Force 29

The Rebels secured their first win of the season against the Force, although they left it late to get the win. A Mark Gerrard penalty in the 73rd minute sealed the victory for the Rebels. This was after a fine second half comeback from the Force. At half time, the Rebels were leading 24-12 after tries from Drew Mitchell, Lloyd Johansson and Sale-bound Danny Cipriani. However in the second half, the Force came storming back with tries from Alfi Mafi and Nick Cummins with Dave Harvey converting both of these and also getting a penalty.  They thought they had stolen the victory but Gerrard came up and stole the victory away from them.

Brumbies 33 Highlanders 26

Highlanders unbeaten start to the season ended as the Brumbies beat them 33-26 in Canberra. It was the hosts quick start which proved to be vital as with 20minutes gone, they were 17-3 up through two tries from Joseph Tomane, both being converted by Christian Lealiifano. The Highlanders had dominated possession and territory in the early stages but couldn't find the clinical touch. They did score tries from Aaron Smith and Shaun Treeby but illdiscipline cost them as Lealiifano kicked the penalities which sealed the win.

Crusaders 28 Cheetahs 21

Crusaders returned back to playing in Christchurch and they celebrated a victory on their return, sparking their campaign back to life with a 28-21 win against the Cheetahs. Tries from Sean Maitland and Robbie Fruen helped the Crusaders on their way but the Cheetahs fought back through the impressive Johan Goosen contributing 16 points. With 67minutes remaining, the scores were level 21-21 and the game was in the balance but a late try from Israel Dagg sealed the game for them.

Waratahs 34 Sharks 30

The Waratahs staged a very impressive second half comeback with a 34-30 victory over the Sharks. At one stage the Sharks were leading 24-13 through tries from Lwazi Mvovo, Keegan Daniel and Bismarck du Plessis. However, the Waratahs 'never-say-die' attitude shone through as they started to fight back. Fullback Bernard Foley and centre Tom Carter both crossing in a four-minute spell. Patrick Lambie steered the Sharks back in front with two penalties but Tom Kingston set the seal on a seven-try thriller with a score five minutes from time.

Bulls 61 Reds 8

The Bulls got back to winning ways after an emphatic victory against the Reds at Loftus Versfeld. At half time, it was only 16-3 but in the second half they turned the style on and tries by Zane Kirchner, Wynand Olivier, Flip van der Merwe, Jacques Potgieter, Jano Vermaak, CJ Stander, JJ Engelbrecht and Bjorn Basson helped the hosts to their formidable total, as did 18 points from the boot of Morne Steyn. Dominic Shipperley scored a solidary try for the Reds as they went home with their tail between their legs.