Slade, Simmonds power Exeter Chiefs to 31-42 win over Wasps

Henry Slade scored two tries for Exeter Chiefs
Henry Slade scored two tries for Exeter Chiefs

Wasps 31-42 Exeter Chiefs, Ricoh Arena

Henry Slade and Sam Simmonds scored double as Exeter Chiefs went on to beat Wasps 31-42 in the second round of the Gallagher Premiership at Ricoh Arena on Saturday.

The win means Exeter maintained their position at the top with 10 points while Wasps are at fifth place with five points.

Apart from the defeat, Wasps were also dealt injury blows when England flanker Brad Shields was forced off the field with a cheekbone injury following a collision with Stu Townsend. Nathan Hughes also limped off the field after the break allowing Lima Sopoaga to make his debut from the bench.

Wasps started the game well with Elliot Daly playing at fullback for the first time in Premiership since 2013 scored the opening try in the third minute and he followed it with a conversion as well.

Winger Santiago Cordero crossed in the corner in the 12th minute and a conversion from Gareth Steenson saw Exeter level the scores but Dai Young's side replied back with their second from Josh Bassett in the 14th minute and this time Billy Searle kicked the extras.

The visitors upped the ante when Simmonds and Slade scored back to back tries in the 18th and 25th minutes respectively and Steenson kicked both the conversions to take the scoreline to 14-21.

Just at the stroke of half time, Wasps got their third with Hughes diving over the line in the 38th minute and Searle kicked a penalty goal and a conversion on either side as the teams headed into the break with a 24-21 scoreline.

Exeter were quick to get off the block in the second half and it was once again a combination of Simmonds and Slade, who crossed over in the 45th and 49th minutes respectively and Steenson was once again spot on with the conversions to take Rob Baxter's side to a 11 point lead.

As the final 15 minutes kicked-off, Dan Robson with a 69th minute try helped Wasps earn a bonus point but Don Armand with a 80th minute touchdown capped off a 31-42 win for Exeter Chiefs.

Premiership Rugby - Points Table