Match Centre: Heineken Champions Cup: Leinster 55-24 Leicester

Garry Ringrose scored the first two tries for Leinster
Garry Ringrose scored the first two tries for Leinster

Leinster 55-24 Leicester, Aviva Stadium

Leinster have confirmed their spot in the ongoing Heineken Champions Cup semi-finals as they defeated Premiership champions Leicester Tigers 55-24 in the knock-out game at Aviva Stadium on Friday.

The result meant, Leinster, who have won the tournament four times previously will be facing Toulouse or Sharks in the semi-finals.

It took Leinster less than a minute to open their account as Garry Ringrose spotted the gap early in Leicester's defence to dot down and Ross Byrne followed with the conversion to provide them a 7-0 lead.

Leicester responded back through a penalty goal from Handre Pollard in the 6th minute but the home side got their second try soon as Ringrose touched down after collecting an off load from Robbie Henshaw and Byrne followed with a conversion and a penalty goal to extend the lead to 17-3.

With the break approaching, Leicester narrowed down the deficit as full-back Mike Brown took a penalty quickly to catch Leinster off guard before wing Watson finished superbly in the corner. Pollard kicked the extras as the teams completed the opening half with a 17-10 scoreline.

The start of the second half saw Leinster reduced to 14 players temporarily as Caelan Doris was yellow-carded for a dangerous tackle on Jasper Wiese and Byrne landed a three-pointer to make it 20-10.

Leinster extended their lead further as Jamison Gibson-Park burrowed from close range after a break from Ringrose and Byrne improved to make it 27-10.

With Leicester replacement hooker Charlie Clare yellow carded for brining down a maul illegally, Leinster were awarded a penalty try to make it 34-10. Leinster then made it three scores in 10 minutes, replacement flanker Penny spinning out a maul and planting down emphatically.

With 13 minutes left in the game, Cracknell battered his way over from close range for the visitors and Pollard's conversion made it 41-17. Nevertheless, Leinster stepped up the ante as Jimmy O'Brien crashed over after collecting a pass from Harry Byrne to make it 48-17.

Leicester were once again reduced to 14 players in the last seven minutes with Mike Brown sin-binned but despite that Harry Potter and John Mckee exchanged tries as Leinster sailed to the next round with a convincing win.

Team line up:

Leinster: Keenan; O'Brien, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe; R Byrne, Gibson-Park; Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Molony, Ryan (c), Baird, Doris, Conan.

Reserves: McKee, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Jenkins, Penny, McGrath, H Byrne, Frawley.

Leicester: Brown; Watson, Potter, Kelly, Steward; Pollard, Van Poortvliet; Cronin, Montoya (c), Heyes, Martin, Henderson, Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese.

Reserves: Clare, West, Cole, Snyman, Cracknell, Wolstenholme, Atkinson, Gopperth.


European Rugby Champions Cup Points Table