Match Centre: Glasgow 23-22 Edinburgh

Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill
Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill

Glasgow 23-22 Edinburgh, Scotstoun Stadium

Jaco van der Walt's missed conversion in the end proved costly for Glasgow Warriors as they were edged out by Edinburgh 23-22 in a closely fought 1872 Cup second-leg tie at Scotstoun Stadium.

The result also meant the 1872 series is now levelled at 1-1 after Edinburgh registered a thrilling 10-7 win at Murrayfield Stadium in the 10th round of Pro14.

The game which was originally scheduled on 27th December was postponed twice due to Covid-19 first and then a frozen pitch at Scotstoun Stadium made the conditions unplayable.

Ross Thompson marked his first professional start with two swift penalties in the first 13 minutes to get Glasgow off to a six-point lead before Edinburgh fought back with Van Der Walt's three-pointer in the 16th minute.

Glasgow suffered a setback when George Turner was sin-binned in the 34th minute for off the ball tackle on Grant Gilchrist and moments later Huw Jones made a try-saving tackle on Jamie Farndale, who eventually scored after Blair Kinghorn and Dean fed the winger for the opening try in the game. Van der Walt's conversion took the scoreline to 6-10.

A mistake from Nic Groom allowed Glasgow to narrow the gap down to one point with Thompson's third penalty kick.

Glasgow were the first to strike in the second half when Matt Fagerson dotted down before Turner barged through from a driven line-out following a yellow card for Van Der Walt to make the scoreline 23-10.

Despite down by a player, Edinburgh hit back with an offload from Hamish Watson allowing Chris Dean to go over the line and Bennett improved it to reduce the arrears to six points. Just when Glasgow looked in control, they presented Edinburgh with an opportunity when Huw Jones was sin-binned for illegally slowing an Edinburgh attack.

Eroni Sau thought he had sealed the game for the visitors with a vital try 90 seconds before the full time before van der Walt's conversion went wide allowing Glasgow to get away with a one-point victory.

Team line-up:

Glasgow: H Jones; L Jones, Grigg, Fergusson, McLean; Thompson, Price; Seiuli, Turner, Fagerson, Gray, S Cummings, Wilson, Gordon, Fagerson.

Replacements: Matthews, Lambert, Pieretto, Nakarawa, Harley, Dobie, Thomson, Smith.

Edinburgh: Kinghorn; Farndale, Bennett, Dean, Sau; van der Walt, Groom; Sutherland, Cherry, Berghan, Hodgson, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Watson, Mata.

Replacements: Willemse, Schoeman, Nel, Haining, Crosbie, Pyrgos, Chamberlain, Johnstone.