Cardiff University beat Northumbria to end winless run

Cardiff University clinched their first win in BUCS Super Rugby on Wednesday
©Cardiff University Rugby Twitter

Cardiff University secured their first ever victory in BUCS Super Rugby after an excellent win over Northumbria University.

Alun Wyn Davies’ side, who are making their debut in the competition this season, did end the game with 14-men following a red-card, but a solid first-half display helped the Welsh outfit to their maiden triumph.

Meanwhile, the University of Exeter have returned to the summit of BUCS Super Rugby after comfortably beating Nottingham Trent University.

The domestic champions cruised to their fifth win of the season and they now sit one point ahead of rivals Hartpury University, who left it late to defeat Leeds Beckett.

Elsewhere, Durham University resisted a fightback from the University of Bath and Loughborough University held on to beat Cardiff Met in dramatic fashion.

Below is a review from this week’s packed BUCS Super Rugby programme and we also round-up some of the latest results from the league and cup action across university rugby.

BUCS Super Rugby

University of Exeter 33-10 Nottingham Trent University

The University of Exeter stretched their winning streak to three matches and moved to the top of BUCS Super Rugby thanks to a victory over Nottingham Trent University.

Following on from an excellent win against Northumbria University last Friday night, the home side led 21-5 at the break after tries from George Gosling, Richard Chapstick and Jack Rouse.

Trent crossed for their second try shortly after half-time, but George Chatterton and the in-form Josh Pieterse wrapped up the win for Keith Fleming’s side.

Leeds Beckett University 17-18 Hartpury University

Hartpury University edged past Leeds Beckett University to secure their fifth straight victory, but Sean Lynn’s men have dropped to second place in BUCS Super Rugby.

The defending champions failed to pick up a bonus-point whilst rivals Exeter collected maximum points following their victory against Nottingham Trent.

The visitors snatched the win thanks to a late kick and they also dotted down on two occassions while this was another narrow loss for Beckett, who now sit ninth in the table.

Cardiff University 22-14 Northumbria University

Cardiff University stunned Northumbria University as the Welsh outfit battled to their maiden win in BUCS Super Rugby.

After securing their place in the top tier of university rugby back in March, Alun Wyn Davies’ side had lost their first seven games of this campaign, but they produced an excellent performance to break their duck.

Three first half tries, including efforts from Marcus Ramage and Cam Lewis, gave Cardiff a 17-0 lead at the break before Owen Williams dotted down after the interval.

Northumbria did hit back with a score of their own and when Cardiff were reduced to 14-men following a red-card, the visitors were given a glimmer of hope.

However, despite Darren Fearn’s side grabbing their second try, the home side were able to hold out for the victory.

University of Bath 13-27 Durham University

Durham University returned to winning ways as they stood firm to beat the University of Bath.

A try from the returning Charlie Wilson and two penalties from Myles Rawstron-Rudd gave Durham a 13-6 lead, with Hugo Stiles landing two kicks for the hosts.

After the break, Henry Paremain scored two tries in quick succession to put the visitors in control, but Durham allowed Bath to gain a foothold in this contest after scrum-half Jacob Collin was yellow-carded.

Henry Padfield touched down as the hosts started to mount a comeback and it looked like they had further cut the defict, but Paul Altier’s try was disallowed for a debatable forward pass.

However, when Durham returned to their full complement, Alex Keay’s side took the sting out of Bath’s pressure to secure the victory.


Man of the Match Josh Basham (Durham): “We know how good Bath are as a side. They have put in some really good performances this season so we had a real focus coming down after a long journey to put in a good performance today.

“It was a very close first 30 and in the last 10 minutes of that half, we gained a bit of momentum. It was just about coming out at half-time and keeping it at that level which we managed to do through some quick ball. I think that middle 20 of the game won it for us.”

Loughborough University 27-26 Cardiff Met University

Loughborough University survived a Cardiff Met fightback to secure consecutive wins in BUCS Super Rugby.

Tries from Tom Pearson and Luke Yendle, either side of Fergus Guiry’s effort for Loughborough, put Met ahead but scores via Austin Wallis and Max Hill gave the away side a 17-14 lead at half-time.

Loughborough extended their advantage through Owen Lloyd, but Kean Roberts’ try reduced the deficit to 22-21.

However, last week’s hero Sam Roberts produced the decisive moment for Loughborough once again as his try in the final 10 minutes ultimately sealed the win for the Midlands club.

There was to be late drama as Zac Clow darted over for Met, but the hosts could not snatch the victory as they failed with the conversion.

Elsewhere across BUCS

Premier North – Women’s

Durham University continued their scintillating start to the campaign after they hammered the University of Birmingham 78-0. Northumbria University are six points behind unbeaten leaders Durham after a 27-15 victory away at the University of Edinburgh while Loughborough University beat Newcastle University 45-22.

Premier South – Women’s

The University of Exeter maintained their perfect start to the season with a win over Oxford University while the University of Bristol narrowly defeated Swansea University 22-17 to claim their second win of the season.

North A

Newcastle University marched on in North A as they secured their eighth win in a row. The North-East side beat Bishop Burton College 18-16 and they now have clear daylight between themselves and their nearest challengers. The University of Nottingham defeated the University of Edinburgh 33-12 to put pressure on Durham 2nds who lost 39-24 against Loughborough 2nds. The other result in the division saw the University of Leeds clinch a 33-19 victory over the University of Birmingham.

South A

Hartpury 2nds recorded their seventh consecutive victory in South A as they beat Cardiff Met 2nds 45-33. The University of South Wales are up to second after securing an excellent 48-20 win over Bath 2nds while the University of Bristol made it back to back victories after defeating UWE 13-0. Elsewhere, Swansea University won 51-24 on the road against Exeter 2nds.

BUCS Trophy – Men’s

North B table toppers the University of Sheffield advanced into the last 16 of the BUCS Trophy after a 28-26 win away at the University of Leicester. League compatriots Leeds Beckett 2nds couldn’t follow suit as they lost 24-12 to Manchester Met, but their was better news for the University of Glasgow who beat the University of Dundee 19-18.

The University of Manchester failed to progress as the University of Liverpool prevailed 20-7 over their North-West rivals while another North B side, Durham 3rds, also fell at the last 32 stage as they were beaten 24-14 by Scottish 1A leaders, the University of Aberdeen.

From South B, title challengers Exeter 3rds are through to the next round of the BUCS Trophy after a comfortable 27-5 win over Oxford Brookes University while Hartpury 3rds advanced following a 32-20 triumph over the University of Brighton. Elsewhere, Cardiff University 2nds thrashed Brunel University 83-12 and Cardiff Met 3rds beat Bath 3rds 29-26.

Reading University made it through to the last 16 after a 43-17 win against Kings College London and the University of Portsmouth triumphed 24-22 over the University of Portsmouth, Meanwhile, Northern 1A side Edinburgh 2nds were beaten 42-28 by Midlands 1A outfit Loughborough 3rds.

Elsewhere, Nottingham Trent 2nds also progressed while the University of Sterling’s match with the University of St Andrews was postponed.

The University of Sterling’s match with the University of St Andrews was postponed.

Northern Conference Cup – Men’s

Northern 2B league leaders Northumbria 2nds were handed a walkover result against Keele University and Sheffield Hallam University, who sit behind Keele in Northern 2A, beat Liverpool 2nds 24-13 to progress to the last eight. Meanwhile, Lancaster University are through after a win over Leeds 3rds, but fellow 2A side Manchester 2nds are out following a 33-24 loss to the University of York.

Meanwhile, Leeds 2nds were awarded a walkover result against York St John University and city rivals Leeds Beckett 3rds defeated Sheffield 2nds 50-29. Northern 3A side the University of Chester won 22-6 against Sheffield Hallam 2nds and Bangor University saw off Newcastle University 4ths 24-5.

Midlands Conference Cup – Men’s

Midlands 1A outfit Nottingham Trent 2nds are through to the next round of the Midlands Conference Cup as are Birmingham 2nds who beat Midlands 2A front runners University of East Anglia 31-23. Nottingham 3rds advanced after beating the University of Derby, while De Montfort University clinched a 37-15 win over Nottingham Trent 3rds and Coventry University also kept their cup run going following a 36-0 victory against Leicester 2nds.

Elsewhere, Oxford Brookes University Nottingham 2nds and Loughborough 4ths are also through to the quarter-finals.