Scotland U20s record their first victory in 15 games after edging out Wales 18-17

©Fergus Mainland

It was a night to remember for Scotland’s next generation, beating a penalty ridden Wales at home in Glasgow.

Rudi Brown opened the scoring for Scotland before Morgan Morse and Oli Andrew would respond for Wales. The Scots would be awarded a penalty try in the second half with penalties coming from Scots Ben Afshar and Dan King with Dan Edwards adding three for Wales.

A high tempo start resulted in back-to-back Welsh penalties, pinning the visitors deep inside their 22. 

Despite a couple of valiant mauls, Wales drove the Scots into touch meaning both teams failed to come away with points on their first ventures into enemy territory.

Moments later, a marauding Corey Tait bundled his way back into the Welsh 22 before the visitors conceded a penalty, allowing Scotland to set up another line-out, five metres out.

Scotland made outstanding work of the chaotic lineout and thundered over the Welsh line with Brown scoring for the second consecutive week.

In the swirling winds, Richie Simpson, who had a perfect record from the tee last week, missed the conversion.

Throughout the opening quarter, the Welsh discipline was their greatest hinder, stopping all their attacks from penetrating Scotland’s 22.

This would ultimately allow scrum half Ben Afshar to add three points, kicking at a ground he’s all too familiar with.

With Wales down to 14 men before halftime following an Archie Hughes yellow card, Scotland continued to inch towards the Welsh try line. 

However, their only reward would be a second yellow for Wales with Dylan Kelleher-Griffiths sent to the bin for taking out Afshar without the ball on the stroke of halftime.

After the break it was Wales who returned with a new lease of life, wasting no time in bulldozing their way up to Scotland’s try line.

When Hughes returned from the bin, Wales opened their scoring from an attacking scrum with Morse darting off the side crossing the whitewash before the Scots could figure out how to stop him.

Moments later, Scotland were denied a score after a length TMO deliberation resulted in the points being wiped from the board.

Their perseverance would be rewarded after another successful line-out saw Morse sent to the bin and a penalty try awarded. 

Wales had proven their resilience when they had players sent off and this continued with the visitors winning a penalty in Scotland’s 22 and adding 3 points from the boot of Edwards right in front of the posts.

The Welsh young guns would take the lead for the first time in the match after the shipping the ball out wide to the open arms of Cameron Winnett just inside the Scotland 22.

The full-back fed a neat offload to Andrew who cut inside and reached out to the line. Edwards would add the important conversion.

With 10 minutes to go, Scotland would retake the lead with King adding three points taking the penalty kick into a punishing headwind.

A final yellow card for Lewis Lloyd would record a famous victory at Scotstoun in the U20 Six nations Championship for Scotland.


King, Robinson, Munn, Yule, Evans, Simpson, Afshar, Davidson, Tait, Norrie, Parkinson, Hart, McConnell, Brown, Derrick


Blyth-Lafferty, Deans, Ogunlaja, Erskine, Rutherford, Burgess, Gwynn, Jarvie


Winnett, Morgan, Hennessey, Ackerman, Andrew, Edwards, Hughes, Kelleher-Griffiths, Scarfe, Fackrell, Edwards, Woodman, Martin, Morse, Davies 


Lloyd, Chapman, Pritchard, Evans, Giannini, Williams, James, Florence