Rebels-Reds Super Rugby AU clash ends in draw despite heading to Super Time

James O'Connor kicked vital eight second half points for Reds
James O'Connor kicked vital eight second half points for Reds

Melbourne Rebels 18 - 18 Queensland Reds, Brookvale Oval

The Super Rugby AU tournament witnessed the first drawn game after Rebels and Reds battled out for a 18-18 result in Sydney on Friday.

The match went into Super Time - which gives additional two five minutes halves in the end when the teams end up with same points at the conclusion of 80 minutes but neither team managed to score a point as both the teams shared the points equally.

Reds now have a win and a draw in two games while Rebels still in search for a win after playing two matches.

With tough rainy conditions, both teams struggled to find a grip as no tries were scored in the opening half. Matt Toomua though started the proceedings for Rebels with a seventh minute penalty kick.

Rebels thought they scored the first try of the game when Richard Hardwick dotted down but was disallowed by TMO as the replays showed he put his foot in touch before scoring.

As the break was round the corner, Reds lost Hamish Stewart to sin-bin for a breakdown offence and Toomua with his second penalty kick doubled Rebels score to 6-0 at the end of the first half.

The Reds overcame the numerical disadvantage when Filipo Daugunu gathered a long pass from James O'Connor to go over the line. O'Connor missed the conversion but kicked a penalty goal in the 51st minute to make it 6-8.

The lead for the visitors was short-lived as Reece Hodge touched down in the 54th minute after good work from Koroibete and Dane Haylett-Petty and two minutes later Reds had their second sin-bin with Hunter Paisami penalised for a hit on Koroibete.

Reds did not concede a try during the next minutes but Rebels eventually breached their defence with Bill Meakes scoring the try in the 68th minute with Toomua improving it to make it 18-8. However, Alex Mafi's try in the closing time with O'Connor's penalty and conversion on either side ensured the scoreline became 18-18 allowing the game to head into Super Time.