Queensland Reds come from behind to beat Sunwolves 32-26

Queensland Reds registered their fifth win
Queensland Reds registered their fifth win

Reds 32-26 Sunwolves, Suncorp Stadium

Queensland Reds managed to come from behind as they completed a 32-26 victory over Sunwolves in their Super Rugby clash at Suncorp Stadium on Friday.

Reds now hold the third position in Australian Conference after registering their fifth win from 10 games while Sunwolves languish at the bottom after succumbing to their ninth defeat.

Hayden Parker kicked back to back penalties in the opening 10 minutes to get Sunwolves to a six-point lead but Bryce Hegarty helped Reds bounce back with a penalty in the 13th minute and a try a minute later.

Just as the second quarter started, Gerhard van den Heever intercepted a pass from Hamish Stewart to dot down in the 21st minute with Parker improving it to make it 8-13.

The Japanese side's progress was halted with sin-bin to Masataka Mikami and Semisi Masirewa in the 24th and 36th minutes respectively but the Reds could not quite capitalise on the numerical advantage as they headed into the break with a 8-13 scoreline.

The home side started the second half briskly with Taniela Tupou powering over the line and after a penalty goal from Parker, the visitors lost control of the game with Masirewa getting his second yellow card and was sent off.

Sefanaia Naivalu scored a try in the 51st minute and Hegarty followed with a conversion and a penalty but the favours were returned with van den Heever scoring his second and Parker kicking a conversion and a penalty on either side.

The scoreline was 25-26 as the final 10 minutes kicked off and once again infringements costed Sunwolves dearly with Yu Tamura sin-binned and this time Brandon Paenga-Amosa dotted down. In a bizarre 76th minute Reds lost Harry Hockings to red-card and Sunwolves' Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco sin-binned as the scoreline remained 32-26 in favour of the home side for the remainder of the game.