Match Centre: England 19-17 Wales

Owen Farrell could now miss England's first World Cup game with Argentina after being sent off against Wales
©INPHO/Tom Maher

England 19-17 Wales, Twickenham Stadium

England captain Owen Farrell is in danger of missing the Rugby World Cup opener after being red-carded in their 19-17 win over Wales in the warm-up game at Twickenham Stadium.

Farrell became the first player who had the yellow card upgraded to red by the new 'Bunker' review system for his high tackle on Wales reserves Taine Basham. The win for England was also marred by an ankle injury to Jack Van Poortvliet.

Wales entered the game having lost their previous six visits to the Twickenham Stadium with their last win at the venue coming in the 2015 Rugby World Cup

England made an early attack through Henry Arundell but Liam Williams kept them away from scoring in the 4th minute. As Wales strayed offside, the home side opened the account with a swift penalty kick from Owen Farrell in the 8th minute to make it 3-0.

Wales also had injury concerns as Dewi Lake was forced off the field in the 26th minute for injuring his knee and five minutes later, England were down to 14 players temporarily with Arundell sin-binned for not retreating during a tackle but the visitors did not capitalise on the numerical advantage. Instead, Farrell kicked another penalty goal to double England's lead to 6-0 by the end of the openign half.

The start of the second half saw Tommy Reffell yellow carded for not releasing an opponent and Farrell kicked a three-pointer to extend the home side's lead to 9-0 before Wales got their first points through Owen Williams' penalty goal in the 45th minute that reduced the arrears to six points.

Ellis Genge came on his 50th Test cap but it did not turn memorable for him as he was sent to sin-bin for collapsing a scrum in the 59th minute that also resulted in a penalty try for Wales making it 9-10. Troubles mounted for Steve Borthwick's men was Farrell added to England's indiscipline for a shoulder to head tackle on Baisham. He was initially sin-binned but later upgraded to a red card.

Wales made most of the momentum as Dan Biggar created the space for Tomos Williams to dot down. Biggar also kicked the conversion as Wales extended their lead to 9-17 before Maro Itoje scored a maul try to reduce the gap down to one point. With six minutes left in the game, Wales had Adam Beard sin-binned and it proved decisive as George Ford kicked a nerveless penalty goal to steer his team through.

Team line up:

England XV: Steward; Arundell, Marchant, Lawrence, Daly; Farrell (C), Van Poortvliet; Marler, George, Stuart, Itoje, Martin, Lawes, Earl, B Vunipola.

Reserves: Dan, Genge, Cole, Hill, Willis, Youngs, Ford, Malins.

Wales XV: L Williams; Adams, Roberts, Tompkins, Rogers; O Williams, T Williams; G Thomas, Lake (C), Francis, Beard, R Davies, Lydiate, Reffell, Plumtree.

Reserves: Parry, Mathias, Lewis, Tshiunza, Basham, Hardy, Biggar, K Williams.