England's bid for the 2025 World Cup has received a shot in the arm after receiving the backing from government.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak is expected to make the funding announcement in Wednesday’s budget and spending review in support of the bids.
"I’m excited at the prospect of bringing more world class sporting events to the UK. That’s why I’m backing these British bids, with over £40m of funding to make our case," he said.
“Our bids will include events taking place across the country, and I’m hopeful that everyone will get a chance to cheer on their sporting heroes.”
England last hosted the Women's World Cup in 2010 and previously went on to win the competition for the second time in 2014.
The RFU also expressed confidence that hosting the tournament will drive more interest into the women's game which is already on the rise with the registered players in the clubs increased from 13,000 to 40,000 in clubs with 80,000 girls playing in schools, colleges and universities.
"We are absolutely delighted that Government has confirmed the funding for the Rugby World Cup 2025 bid," said RFU CEO Bill Sweeney.
"Should our bid be successful, we firmly believe hosting this tournament across England would be transformational for the women’s and girls’ game, bringing thousands of players, volunteers and spectators to our sport.
"Working together with Government we can deliver a bid that inspires and that showcases the power of women’s sport on the global stage.
"I’d also like to thank Government for their continued support after all they have done through Covid and their recognition of the power of inclusive and diverse sport to benefit society as a whole”.