Warren Gatland delays naming Wales matchday squad

Wales are scheduled to take on England on Saturday.
Wales are scheduled to take on England on Saturday.

Wales head coach Warren Gatland has delayed naming the matchday squad for the upcoming Six Nations game against England.

There is a threat of the game called off as the players threatened to be on strike over rows of contract dispute with the Welsh Rugby Union.

The players have given the board time until Wednesday for the contract issues to be resolved.

The four Welsh regions Dragons, Cardiff, Ospreys and Scarlets have not signed on a six-year agreement with the new contract stating 80% of the wages will be fixed while the remaining 20% will be based on form, availability and other factors.

Meanwhile, the professional rugby board has also demanded removal of the 60-cap rule which is the criteria for national selection of the players plying trade overseas.

Gatland, who confirmed that the Tuesday's training session has been cancelled said despite the uncertainty he is confident of the team's chances in the game against England.

“The boys have been great in training. I have just got to put all that sort of stuff aside and make sure that we focus on the game,” the Wales boss said last week.

“It hasn’t been the easiest few weeks, but sometimes that focuses the mind and gives you the resolve to focus on the job at hand, and that is preparing the team the best way we possibly can as a group as coaches for next week.”