Rugby Australia chief 'optimistic' of Perth game against All Blacks

New Zealand had pulled out of the game due to Covid restrictions
New Zealand had pulled out of the game due to Covid restrictions
©Steve Haag

Rugby Australia chief executive Andy Marinos is hopeful that the second round Rugby Championship clash against New Zealand scheduled in Perth will be played at a later date.

The game was originally scheduled to be played at 28th August but following the restrictions imposed by Western Australia due to rise in Delta variants, New Zealand Rugby has opted to pull out of the encounter apart from the home matches against the Springboks as well.

The move was heavily criticised by Wallabies head coach Dave Rennie, who said he was 'Bloody angry' with the decision and how it was communicated while SANZAAR is now considering the option of playing the remainder of the tournament in Australia or in the northern hemisphere with even South Africa offering to host the competition.

Nevertheless, Marinos said they are in discussion with the local government about the prospect of playing the match on 4th September.

"We're working hard now with the West Australian government and the stadium to see if we can't move that to September 4," Marinos told Channel Nine on Sunday.

"We remain optimistic and confident we can get the game away eventually in Perth."

Earlier, NZR chief executive Mark Robinson slammed Rennie over his remarks following the All Blacks' decision to pull out of the Rugby Championship game against the Wallabies.

“Certainly I know that senior All Blacks and Wallabies were discussing the situation and our players were making them aware of the reality of our situation,” Robinson told Newstalk ZB on Saturday.

“It's a shame that couldn't get back to Dave and some of the people he's referring to.

“I haven't read all of his comments, but my understanding of some reference to no consultation, that's simply not true.

“We had calls right through from sort of Wednesday, Thursday; we put something in writing on Thursday, and then we spoke to them [Rugby Australia] before anything was released."