Match Centre: Six Nations - Scotland 30-21 England

Duhan van der Merwe scored three tries for Scotland
Duhan van der Merwe scored three tries for Scotland
©Photo by Michael Steele - World Rugby/World Rugby via Getty Images

Scotland 30-21 England, Murrayfield

Duhan van der Merwe starred with a hat-trick as Scotland retained the Calcutta Cup with a 30-21 victory over England at Murrayfield on Saturday.

This was also the fourth consecutive Six Nations victory for Scotland over England while van der Merwe became the first player to score a hat-trick in the Calcutta Cup.

The result also meant Scotland have managed five wins and a draw in the last seven games against England since Gregor Townsend took over.

Scotland have moved to second place in the table with nine points while England are in third with eight points. Ireland remain at the top following their third consecutive win against Wales.

England were first to open their account in the 142nd staging of the Calcutta Cup as Danny Care breached the home side's defence and sent a pass to Elliot Daly, who released George Furbank to score in the 5th minute. George Ford made no mistake with the conversion as they raced to a 0-7 lead.

Scotland prop Zander Fagerson left the field for a Head Injury Assessment following the try but later returned much to the relief of Townsend. An infringement from Scotland at the breakdown allowed England to extend the lead further with Ford kicking the three-pointer in the 15th minute.

And against the run of play, the home side struck back in the 20th minute when Huw Jones and Finn Russell combined to send van der Merwe over the line for his first try of the evening and around the half hour mark, a handling error from England allowed the Scotland winger to get his second try. Russell converted both as Scotland went into a lead of 14-10.

As England were penalised for offside, Russell ensured there was no mistake with a penalty kick in the 35th minute before Ford showed his expertise with a drop goal to halt Scotland's momentum as the teams completed the opening half with the hosts 17-13 ahead.

Scotland were quickest out of the blocks in the second half as van der Merwe completed his hat-trick after collecting a perfectly weighted crossfield kick from Russell, who maintained his 100% kicking record with another conversion making it 24-13 before Ford slotted a three-pointer to cut the deficit to eight points.

Scotland grew in confidence as two more penalty kicks from Russell helped them reach the 30-point mark before Immanuel Feyi-Waboso powered his way over in the 67th minute to bring England some hope, making it 30-21.

With two minutes left in the game, Scotland's star of the day van der Merwe was sin-binned for a dangerous tackle but despite that, Townsend's troops held on to their nine-point lead handing England their first defeat of the competition.

Team lineups:

Scotland: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Kyle Steyn, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Sione Tuipulotu, 11 Duhan van der Merwe, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Ben White; 1 Pierre Schoeman, 2 George Turner, 3 Zander Fagerson, 4 Grant Gilchrist, 5 Scott Cummings, 6 Jamie Ritchie, 7 Rory Darge, 8 Jack Dempsey

Reserves: 16 Ewan Ashman, 17 Alec Hepburn, 18 Elliot Millar-Mills, 19 Sam Skinner, 20 Andy Christie, 21 George Horne, 22 Ben Healy, 23 Cameron Redpath

England: 15 George Furbank, 14 Tommy Freeman, 13 Henry Slade, 12 Ollie Lawrence, 11 Elliot Daly, 10 George Ford, 9 Danny Care; 1 Ellis Genge, 2 Jamie George, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Maro Itoje, 5 Ollie Chessum, 6 Ethan Roots, 7 Sam Underhill, 8 Ben Earl

Reserves: 16 Theo Dan, 17 Joe Marler, 18 Will Stuart, 19 George Martin, 20 Chandler Cunningham-South, 21 Ben Spencer, 22 Fin Smith, 23 Immanuel Feyi-Waboso