Late Farrell penalty allows Lions to snatch a draw in final Test against New Zealand

Owen Farrell's penalty rescued a draw for the Lions
Owen Farrell's penalty rescued a draw for the Lions

New Zealand 15-15 British and Irish Lions, Eden Park

Owen Farrell kicked the decisive penalty in the 77th minute as British and Irish Lions managed to make a comeback from behind to draw the final Test against New Zealand 15-15 at Eden Park on Saturday.

The result also means the series ends in a draw with both teams winning a game each previously.

New Zealand haven't lost a game in Auckland since 1994 and the last time they lost consecutive Tests at home was 19 years back.

The first 13 minutes in the game went without a point and it was Ngani Laumape, who seized on a kick from Jordie Barrett to score the opening try for New Zealand. Beauden Barrett added the conversion and the All Blacks raced to a seven point lead.

Farrell finally managed to get the visitors on the board with a 20th minute penalty and 12 minutes later kicked his second penalty to bring down the difference between the two teams to one point.

Jordie, who was on his first full debut capitalised on a flat pass from Anton Lienert-Brown to score New Zealand's second try in the 35th minute but Beauden missed on the conversion and Steve Hansen's men went into half time with a 12-6 lead.

The second half had all the ingredients of an intriguing finish and Elliott Daly kicked a brilliant penalty to reduce the gap down to three points. New Zealand suffered a setback when Jerome Kaino was sin-binned in the 49th minute but it did not hurt them much as both teams struggled to knock each other out.

Farrell's third penalty kick came in the 59th minute as the scores were levelled 12-12 and Beauden, who had missed a conversion and a penalty in the game kicked a three pointer in the 67th minute after Kyle Sinkler was penalised to bring Steve Hansen's men back into 15-12 lead. However, Farrell held his nerve and managed to deliver the much needed penalty across the line with three minutes to go to draw the game 15-15 and with it the series too.